Ondřej Vavrečka‘s De Potentia Dei received the award for the best Czech experimental documentary at this year’s Jihlava IDFF.
Synopsis of the film: “Potentia dei is a notion difficult to translate, but possible to explain. The same goes for a film essay by Ondřej Vavrečka, with signs and information, their interpretation and secrets as its main theme. The collage-like film uses sharp audiovisual contrasts to make people think.”
Jury statement: “An intelligent and joyful film. Cleverly challenging the viewer to think about art, political & social issues, and the cinematic experience. Many wonderful juxtaposed scenes and Dada moments intertwined into a highly enjoyable and provocative work.”
Jurors: Guli Silberstein, Dana Wander-Silberstein
Fascinations Exprmntl.cz is a competition survey of the latest Czech experimental films that touch upon reality and never cease in their search for new ways of expressing reality through classical and digital film.
List of other films in competition:
- Kryštof Strejc: Dialogue (2015) – ‘7
- Vladimír Turner: Funeral (2016) – ’10
- Jakub Korselt: Hoax (2016) – ’10
- Jiří Žák: Night of the Hunter (2016) – ’24
- Martina Holá: The Colonel’s Photograph (2015) – ‘4
- Zbyněk Baladrán: To be Framed (2016) – ‘9
- Adéla Kudlová: Water Pure Azure (2016) ‘4
- Jakub Krejčí: WhereWhoYouMeAre (2016) ‘5